Delaware Teacher Certification
So you want to earn your Delaware Teacher Certification? Let's take a look at the step by step instructions:
Traditional Approach for the Delaware Teacher Certification
- Get a degree - Bachelors at a minimum, Masters is even a better option.
- Perform your Teacher Preparation: This includes teacher prep courses, student teaching, or other internships. To receive a Delaware Teacher Certification, you have to have experience in teaching - even unpaid.
- Complete the Praxis I exam.
- Register online to begin the process
- Submit the following:
- Test scores
- Current certification (if you already have one)
- Forms printed from your online session
- Official transcripts, degrees, and school credits
- Mail to:
Department of Education
Collette Education Resource Center
35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
Dover, DE 19904
- (302) 857-3388
- Do you want to renew your Delaware Teacher Certification?
Alternative Approach for the Delaware Teacher Certification
Alternatively, there is another path you can take to get your teaching in Delaware without completing the teacher education program. However, you must complete the teacher education program within the first year while being a part of a mandatory mentoring program.
- Obviously you must still earn your bachelors degree from a credited university. Ideally, you should always continue your education in efforts to earn a Master’s degree.
- You’ll need to complete the Praxis I exam in reading, writing, and math. Pass the Praxis II subject-area exam
- You must currently be a full-time teacher in a Delaware Secondary School
- Pass Health and Criminal Background Checks
- Speak to someone at the following offices:
- Newark Office: (302) 831-4598
- Georgetown Office: (302)855-1632