Illinois Teacher Certification
How do you get an Illinois Teacher Certification?
Traditional Approach for the Illinois Teacher Certification
- Earn a higher education degree
- Gain some teaching experience; student teaching is acceptable, other teacher prep courses will provide this.
- Pass the Illinois Test of Basic Skills, Illinois Content Test (Subject Area), and the Assessment of Professional Teaching. Click here to learn more.
- Submit the following:
- Apply Online
- $30 check/money order payable to Department of Education’s Certification Office
- Call here for more information
- Springfield - (866) 262-6663
- Chicago - (312) 814-2220
- *Do you want to renew your Illinois Teacher Certification?*
Alternative Approach for the Illinois Teacher Certification
Alternatively, there is another path to take to get Certified to teach in IL which allows you to start your teaching career before you complete the teacher education program.
- Degree is still required
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a related occupation
- Pass the ICTS testing requirements
- You’ll receive the Alternative Certification Program certification which is valid for 1 year. During this time, you’ll be mentored and participate in various activities to be judged and reviewed on your progress. After completing this successfully, you’ll receive the Initial Illinois Teaching Certification
Resident Teacher Certification
This route doesn’t require any time spent with teacher preparation work. After fulfilling the requirements, you will earn your Master’s Degree and possibly be recommended for the Standard Illinois Certification. Call (866) 262-6663 or (312) 814-2220 for more details