Iowa Teacher Certification
Ready to get your Iowa Teaching Certification? Let's go through the requirements one by one.
Traditional Iowa Certification Path for Teachers
- Bachelors Degree is Required
- Teaching Experience is Required (this can be student teaching)
- Pass your Praxis I Test of Basic Skills or CAAP Exam. Also, you’ll need to take your Praxis II Content Test (subject area)
- Requirements for Teaching Endorsements
- 160 days of experiences within last 5 years
- Call (515) 281-3245 for a fingerprint package
- Submit the following:
- Completed Application
- $85 & $50 check/money order payable to Bd. Of Educational Examiners
- Official Transcripts of all degrees and credits you have earned
- Also, include copies of all test scores
- Mail to:
Iowa Board of Educational Examiners
Grimes State Office Building
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0146
- Do you want to renew your Iowa Teacher Certification?
Alternative Approach for the Iowa Teacher Certification
Alternatively, you can earn the Teacher Intern License to teach in Iowa. This will allow you to start teaching before you complete your teacher education program.
- Obviously you must still earn your Bachelors Degree from an accredited university. Ideally, you should always continue your education in efforts to earn a Master’s degree.
- 3+ years of experience in a related occupation
- Subject matter requirements
- Finish an introductory teacher intern program at an accredited college or university
- Apply for an Iowa teaching job
Teaching Schools in Iowa
- M.A. in Education/Early Childhood Ed.
- M.A. in Education/Secondary Teacher Education
- M.A. Teaching (K-8)
- Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Preparation Program (K-8)
- Ph.D. in Education - Mixed-Model
- Ed.S. in Assessment Evaluation and Accountability - General Program
- MS - K-12 Studies in Education
- PhD - K-12 Studies in Education
- MEd in Teaching and Learning - Gifted Education Focus
- MEd in Early Childhood Education