Our EZ Guide to getting certified to teach in Maine:
Traditional Path to the Maine Teaching Certification
- Have a college degree
- Have 180 hours of teaching experience (student teaching qualifies)
- Pass Pre-Professionals Skills Test (PPST)
- Submit the following:
- Requested Application you can also call (207) 624-6603
- Completed fingerprint and criminal background check (207) 624-6603
- Official transcripts, degrees, and school credits
- Fees made out to Treasurer State of Maine
- Copies of all test scores
- Mail to:
State of Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME. 04333-0023
- Do you want to renew your Maine Teacher Certification?
Alternative Approach for the Maine Teacher Certification
Alternatively, you can earn the Conditional Maine Teaching Certification to teach in Maine. This will allow you to start teaching before you complete the teacher education program.
- Obviously you must still earn your Bachelors Degree from an accredited university. Ideally, you should always continue your education in efforts to earn a Master’s degree.
- Pass the Pre-Professionals Skills Test (PPST)
- Provide official transcripts
- Pass the requirements listed above for the traditional Maine Teacher Certification
- Call (207) 624-6603 for more information