New Jersey Teacher Certification
Step by step guide to becoming certified as a teach in NJ:
New Jersey Initial Educator Certification
- Make sure you have documented proof of a college degree
- You must have experience in the classroom - student teaching is the most common route.
- If you hold a degree dated before September 1, 2004, then your GPA must be 2.5 or higher. If your degree is after that date, then you must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- You’ll need to pass the examination given by the New Jersey County Offices of Education. You will also need to pass the Praxis II (subject area) exam.
- Submit the following:
- Do you want to renew your teaching credentials in New Jersey?
Alternative Teacher Certification in NJ
Alternatively, there is another way you can take to get your New Jersey Teacher Certification..
*A mentorship program is required to qualify for the standard New Jersey Teacher Certification*
- Degree requirement is still valid
- Mentoring- 20 days of pre-service training/support; may be modified
- Mentoring- 30 weeks of support by a school-based experienced teacher
- Supervision & Evaluation- 3 evaluations by school based administrators, including final summative evaluation recommending the novice teacher for standard certification
- Formal Instruction- at least 200 hours of instruction aligned with the New Jersey Professional Standards for Teachers
- See more of the requirements along with fee schedule here
- Apply Online and call (609) 984-6377
Teaching Schools in New Jersey
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania.
Why ASU? At ASU, learning online is effective, flexible and smart. Every program delivered online is developed by the same excellent faculty who teach on our campuses, and is designed to engage students and professors in meaningful ways. The result? Our students are an integral part of a New American University.
At University of Phoenix, we believe everyone deserves access to higher education.
A degree from CTU can connect you to what matters most: powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree you hit the ground sprinting. Are you in?