So you want to earn your New York Teacher Certification? We've created a guide to help you navigate getting certified to teach.
New York Initial Educator Certification
- Gain a bachelors degree or a masters degree. Any subject is acceptable - an education concentration may help later on in the process, but is not a requirement.
- Perform some student teaching. This type of internship will be required before you're able to get into a classroom.
- Passing the New York State Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST), the Assessment of Teaching Skills- Written (ATS-W), and the appropriate Content Specialty Test(s) (CST)…Read more
- Clear the fingerprint and background check
- Submit the following:
- Apply Online
- $50 check/money order payable to New York State Education
- Official Transcripts of all degrees and credits you have earned
- Copies of test scores
- Mail to:
New York State Education Department
Office of Teaching Initiatives
P.O. Box 22064
Albany, NY 12201
For more information, call (518) 474-3901
- Do you want to renew your teaching credentials in New York?
Alternative NY Teacher Certification
There is an alternative path to get your New York Teacher Certification.
- Make sure you have a college education - a degree is still required for the alternative path.
- Read The Alternative Teacher Preparation Program (Transitional B)
- Learn more about the Teacher Preparation Pathways