Virginia Teacher Certification
So you want to earn your Virginia Teacher Certification? Here are the step by step instructions to get started:
Traditional Approach for the Virginia Teacher Certification
- Earn your Bachelors Degree or higher from an accredited university. If you already have a bachelors degree, then be sure to request more information for your Master’s Degree right away
- Teacher Preparations: This will include teacher prep courses, student teaching, and other types of internships. In order to receive a Virginia Teacher Certification, you must have some experience in teaching, even if it’s unpaid.
- Pass the Praxis I Virginia Communication & Literacy Assessment (VCLA) and the Praxis II exams
- Pass a Criminal Record Check. Grab a copy of form FD-258 from the police department along with fingerprint cards
- Submit the following:
- Completed Application
- Official transcripts, degrees, and school credits
- Completed College Verification Form
- Copies of all your test scores
- Application fee of $50 payable to Virginia Dept of Education
- Mail to:
Virginia Department of Education
Division of Teacher Education and Licensure
P.O. Box 2120
Richmond, Virginia 23218-2120
- Do you want to renew your Virginia Teacher Certification?
Alternative Approach for a Virginia Teacher Certification
Alternatively, you can earn the Virginia Licensure which allows you to start teaching before you complete the teacher education program.
- Obviously you must still earn your Bachelors Degree from an accredited university. Ideally, you should always continue your education in efforts to earn a Master’s degree.
- Obtain a recommendation from a Virginia school district
- Call (804) 225-2022 or click here