This is a general guide to the steps a person interested in becoming a teacher might take to become certified to teach in Delaware. Please check with your state to make sure you have the most up-to-date information about the certification process.
For more information on Delaware teacher salaries, see here.
Traditional Approach for the Delaware Teacher Certification
- Earn your degree — bachelor's at a minimum, master's is an even better option.
- Perform your Teacher Preparation: This includes teacher prep courses, student teaching, or other internships. To receive a Delaware Teacher Certification, you need experience in teaching — even unpaid.
- Complete the Praxis I exam.
- Register online to begin the process.
- Submit the following:
- Test scores
- Current certification (if you already have one)
- Forms printed from your online session
- Official transcripts, degrees, and school credits
- Mail to:
Department of Education
Collette Education Resource Center
35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
Dover, DE 19904
- (302) 857-3388
- Do you want to renew your Delaware Teacher Certification?
Alternative Approach for the Delaware Teacher Certification
Alternatively, there is another path you can take to get your teaching in Delaware without completing the teacher education program. However, you must complete the teacher education program within the first year while being a part of a mandatory mentoring program.
- You should still earn your degree — bachelor's at a minimum, master's is an even better option.
- Complete the Praxis I exam in reading, writing, and math. Pass the Praxis II subject-area exam.
- Be a current full-time teacher in a Delaware Secondary School.
- Pass Health and Criminal Background Checks.
- Speak to someone at the following offices:
- Newark Office: (302) 831-4598
- Georgetown Office: (302)855-1632
- Educational Testing Service, https://www.ets.org/
- Welcome to the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS), Delaware Dept. of Education, https://deeds.doe.k12.de.us/default.aspx
- Licensure/Certification Initial Application Instructions, Delaware Dept. of Education, http://deeds.doe.k12.de.us/certificate/deeds_ia_instruct.aspx