These are the usual steps a person might take to become certified to teach in the state of Maryland. Please check with your state to make sure you have the most up-to-date information about the certification process.
Data on teaching salaries in Maryland can be found here.
- Earn a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college.
- Do some student teaching - enough to gain the 180 hours of required experience in the classroom.
- Pass the Praxis I & Praxis II Exams.
- Submit the following:
- Requested Application
- Official transcripts, degrees, and school credits
- Also, include copies of all test scores
- Mail to:
Maryland State Department of Education
200 W. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
- Do you want to renew your Maryland Teacher Certification?
Alternative Approach for Maryland Certification
Alternatively, you can teach in Maryland before you complete the teacher education program:
- Earn a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college
- Pass the Pre-Professionals Skills Test (PPST)
- Provide official transcripts
- Pass the requirements listed above for the traditional Maryland Teacher Certification
- Call (207) 624-6603 for more information
- Educational Testing Service, https://www.ets.org/
- Maryland State Department of Education, http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/Pages/default.aspx