These are the usual steps a person interested in becoming a teacher might take to become certified to teach in the state of Massachusetts. Please check with your state to make sure you have the most up-to-date information about the certification process.
For data on the salaries of teachers in Massachusetts, see here.
Traditional Massachusetts Teaching Certificate
- Earn your bachelor's degree or higher.
- Earn some field experience, such as through student teaching or other internship options.
- Pass the Massachusetts Test for Educators License (MTEL).
- Submit the following:
- Apply Online
- Processing fee $100 payable to: The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Official transcripts, degrees, and school credits
- Also, include copies of all test scores
- Mail to:
Massachusetts Department of Education
Office of Educator Licensure
350 Main Street
Malden, MA 02148
- Do you want to renew your Massachusetts Teacher Certification?
Alternative Approach for the Massachusetts Teacher Certification
Alternatively, you can earn your certification in Massachusetts before you complete the teacher education program. Your preliminary license is void after 5 years.
- Pass the Massachusetts Test for Educators License (MTEL)
- Obtain official transcripts, degrees and school credits
- Call a representative (781) 338-6600
- Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL), Massachusetts Department of Elemental & Secondary Education, http://www.doe.mass.edu/mtel/
- Educator Services, Massachusetts Department of Elemental & Secondary Education, http://www.doe.mass.edu/educators/