This is a general guide to the steps a person might take to become certified to teach in the state of Missouri. Please check with your state to make sure you have the most up-to-date information about the certification process.
Find data on teacher salary in Missouri here.
Traditional Approach for getting a Missouri Teaching Certificate
- Earn a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college.
- Get time in a classroom -- field experience is a Missouri requirement before you can earn a certificate.
- Pass the Praxis I or the CAAP Exam. Also you must complete the Praxis II (subject area).
- Submit fingerprints and background check. Call (866) 522-7067 to schedule your appointment.
- Submit the following:
- Completed Application
- Official Transcripts of all degrees and credits you have earned
- $50.95 fee
- Also, include copies of all test scores
- Mail to:
Missouri Department of Education
Post Office Box 480
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0480
- Do you want to renew your Missouri Teacher Certification?
Alternative Approach for the Missouri Teacher Certification
Alternatively, you can earn the Missouri Teaching Certification to teach in Missouri before you complete the teacher education program. After enrollment, you'll be provided with a 2 year provisional teaching certification.
- Earn a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Pass the background and fingerprint check
- Be hired by the Missouri school district
- Complete an academic contract with the school district, the program provider and yourself
- Educational Testing Service, https://www.ets.org/
- Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education, https://dese.mo.gov/