This is a guide to the usual steps a person might take to become certified to teach in the state of New Jersey. Please check with your state to make sure you have the most up-to-date information about the certification process.
To learn about teaching salary in New Jersey, see here.
New Jersey Initial Educator Certification
- Earn your bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college.
- Earn experience in the classroom -- student teaching is the most common route.
- If you hold a degree dated before September 1, 2004, then your GPA must be 2.5 or higher. If your degree is after that date, then you must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- Pass the examination given by the New Jersey County Offices of Education, as well as the Praxis II (subject area) exam.
- Submit the following:
- Do you want to renew your teaching credentials in New Jersey?
Alternative Teacher Certification in NJ
Alternatively, there is another way you can take to get your New Jersey Teacher Certification. Please note that a mentorship program is required to qualify for the standard New Jersey Teacher Certification.
- Degree requirement is still valid
- Mentoring -- 20 days of pre-service training/support; may be modified
- Mentoring -- 30 weeks of support by a school-based experienced teacher
- Supervision & Evaluation -- 3 evaluations by school based administrators, including final summative evaluation recommending the novice teacher for standard certification
- Formal Instruction -- at least 200 hours of instruction aligned with the New Jersey Professional Standards for Teachers
- See more of the requirements along with fee schedule here
- Apply Online and call (609) 984-6377
- Educational Testing Service, https://www.ets.org/
- How Do I Apply for Certification?, State of New Jersey Department of Education, http://www.state.nj.us/education/educators/license/tcis/
- Fee Schedule, New Jersey State Department of Education, http://www.state.nj.us/education/educators/license/fees.pdf
- Forms (PDF), State of New Jersey Department of Education, http://www.state.nj.us/education/educators/license/forms.htm
- What is the Process for Newly Hired, First-Time Teachers?, State of New Jersey Department of Education, http://www.state.nj.us/education/educators/license/provprogram.htm