This is a general guide to the steps a person might take to become certified to teach in the state of South Dakota. Please check with your state to make sure you have the most up-to-date information about the certification process.
For details on teaching salary in South Dakota, see here.
South Dakota Initial Educator Certification
- Earn your bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college.
- Teacher preparations. This may include teacher prep courses, student teaching, and other types of internships. In order to receive an South Dakota Teacher Certification, you must have some experience in teaching, even if it’s unpaid.
- Pass the Praxis examination given by the South Dakota County Offices of Education.
- Pass the Human Relations & South Dakota Indian Studies Course.
- Submit the following:
- Completed Application
- Fill out the Conduct Review Statement and Citizen Statement
- Copies of all your test scores
- $30 fee for 5 year certification payable to South Dakota Dept. of Education
- Official Transcripts, degrees, credits, and Institutional Statement
- Mail to:
South Dakota Department of Education
Office of Accreditation and Teacher Quality
700 Governors Drive
Pierre, South Dakota 57501
For more information, call (605) 773-3134
- Do you want to renew your teaching credentials in South Dakota?
South Dakota Alternative Teacher Certification
Alternatively, there is another way you can take to get your South Dakota Teacher Certification that can allow you to teach without completing the teacher education program.
- Earn your bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Major in the degree you plan on teaching in
- Employment from South Dakota School District
- Pass the background check
- Pass the screening process with the department coordinator
- Pass the Praxis examination given by the South Dakota County Offices of Education
- Request a written recommendation from mentor
- Apply online or call (605) 773-3134
- Prepare for a Praxis Test: Strategy and Tips, ETS Praxis, https://www.ets.org/praxis/prepare/tips/
- Educator Certification, South Dakota Department of Education, http://www.doe.sd.gov/certification/