This is a general guide to the steps a person might take to become certified to teach in the state of Virginia. Please check with your state to make sure you have the most up-to-date information about the certification process.
For information regarding teaching salaries in Virginia and related data, see here.
Traditional Approach for the Virginia Teacher Certification
- Earn your bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university.
- Teacher Preparations: This may include teacher prep courses, student teaching and other types of internships. In order to receive a Virginia Teacher Certification, you must have some experience in teaching, even if it’s unpaid.
- Pass the Praxis I Virginia Communication & Literacy Assessment (VCLA) and the Praxis II exams
- Pass a Criminal Record Check. Grab a copy of form FD-258 from the police department along with fingerprint cards
- Submit the following:
- Completed Application
- Official transcripts, degrees, and school credits
- Completed College Verification Form
- Copies of all your test scores
- Application fee of $50 payable to Virginia Dept of Education
- Mail to:
Virginia Department of Education
Division of Teacher Education and Licensure
P.O. Box 2120
Richmond, Virginia 23218-2120
- Do you want to renew your Virginia Teacher Certification?
Alternative Approach for a Virginia Teacher Certification
Alternatively, you can earn the Virginia Licensure which allows you to start teaching before you complete the teacher education program.
- Obviously you must still earn your Bachelors Degree from an accredited university. Ideally, you should always continue your education in efforts to earn a Master’s degree.
- Obtain a recommendation from a Virginia school district
- Call (804) 225-2022 or click here
- Virginia Department of Education, http://www.doe.virginia.gov/
- Entry Assessments to Virginia Approved Programs 2012, Virginia Department of Education, http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/educator_preparation/college_programs/entry_assessment.pdf
- Application for a Virginia License 2012, Virginia Department of Education, http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/application.pdf
- Routes to Licensure in Virginia 2012, Virginia Department of Education, http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/multiple_licensure_routes.pdf